In my last article I have shared how you can promote your website? And given slight intro about On-Page optimization but today I am going to discuss in detail about on-page optimization and its factors. As this post is the part of “SEO Guide for Beginners” so it’s important to explain it from beginning .
What is On-Page Optimization?
In search engine optimization, on page is the technique of optimizing the content of a website to make it search engine friendly & its refers to factors that which affect your web page or website listing in natural search result. In very simple language on page optimization is whatever efforts done by you to make your website more search engine friendly is called On-Page optimization for instance adding image & using alt image tag, texts, url structure, internal links, HTML code, meta tags, keyword placement, keyword density and so on.
17 Best On-Page Factors:
After knowing the definition of it you must thinking what it’s factors and how it can help to improve the ranking of your website. Well there are several on-page factors which affect you search engine ranking which I have listed below step by step:
1. SEO Friendly URL: if you are creating new page or post of your website try to make it more search engine friendly. It can easily understand by below example
Good URL Structure Example: http://www.yourdomain.com/products/products-details
Bad URL Structure Example:
http://www.yourdomain.com/product/123 or http://www.yourdomain.com/product/124?proj=12345&sort=new
You can see that in example 1 your visitor can understand what the page is about on the other hand it’s not possible to understand in example 2 and its easier to read search engine as well because search engines don’t read url’s which used &, space, ?, etc. So keep it in mind whenever create website and pages.
2. Title Tag or Page Title: It’s most effective and important part of on page and the ideal title tag length should not be more than 70 characters. It will be good if you use your targeted keywords in title tag it doesn’t mean you stuff your title with multiple occurrences of your keywords because if you stuff title with keywords it have negative impact on the SEO. So my advice to you, make title according to your page and try to use long phrase keywords in your page title.
3. Meta Description: Length of your description tag should be 140-160 characters. It’s another important part of on page optimization you should be very careful to make it.
4. Keyword Tag: After Google’s Hummingbird update its not very much effective all the many seo’s familiar with that and know it doesn’t after you ranking instead of this few SEO still using it for other search engines. So if you are focusing only in Google then this tag is worthless if also want to promote your website in other search engines as well then you can use it and try add your most competitive keywords in it.
5. Heading Tags or H1, & H2 tags: For your kind information there are 6 h tags are available namely H1, H2, H3, H4 , H5 & H6. Instead of SEO benefits H1 & H2 tag are great for formation the content to break up sections and structure the content. So it would be good if you use it mannerly if you forcibly use it’s not going to help you.
6. Image Alt tag: Unfortunately search engines don’t read the images then what to do? Don’t worry use alt image tag in your image which is related to your image & website content.
7. Content: Content is always King no one can ignore this point. Good content is always in demand so make it user as well as search engine friendly via using your keywords in it.
8. Website Speed: Speed of your website can impact your search engine ranking, so its important to make sure about the website speed. A page which load very slowly can down your seo efforts also negative impact to your visitors. You can take help of free Google Page Speed test this tool is absolutely free and suggest you how you can improve the speed of your page.
9. Internal Linking: it helps you to control the bounce rate of your website as well as engage your customers to your website.
10. External Linking: Giving link to high quality website for your readers is shows quality of you content and website and build a good relation in the eye of search engines.
12. Robots.txt: It’s a text file and usually created by webmasters to instruct robots how to crawl and index pages and which page they want to index and crawl.
13. Geo Tagging: you can write geotagging as well as its name indicate it help to know search engines and your customers to know your exact location.
14. Social Media: Nowadays social media becoming popular more and more so it would be a great idea to add social media buttons to your website. So that your readers can share your website on their social profile and it will automatically help to improve rank of your website.
15. Authorship Markups: May be you have seen a photo in-front of websites while you search for any product or service over net. It’s called authorship it’s another way to increase your popularity of your website.
16. Google Webmaster Tool: Add your website in Google Webmaster Tool for free and verify your website via any method which you prefer. It’s inform you time to time if Google face any difficulty to crawl your website instead of this many more great features in it which help to know technical issues of your website.
17. Google Analytics: It’s another free tool offer by Google by adding your website in Google Analytics you can track from where your visitors come and can analyze how long time they stay on your website and you can also set Goal in Google analytic to know more its advantages you should add your website in Google analytic as well.
I know this article is view by many newbie & experienced people so if I left anything or you have any tool or suggestion which I should include in this article can let me know via commenting you can also browse this SEO guide which cost is only Rs.249 and written by Andy Williams for more click on it.
Few article which you would like to read